Learn what branding means and what you can do to create a brand for your business.
An effective brand can give you a massive advantage over your competition. But what exactly is a brand? Basically put, it’s a promise you are making to your customers. It differentiates your company from others and lets your customers know what they are going to get from your products or services. Your brand is established by what type of company you are and what sort of company you want to be perceived as.
Defining your brand
This is a very important step – you are embarking on a journey of self-discovery almost. It can take a long time, it can be difficult, but it needs to be done. It requires that you know the answers below, at the very least:
- What’s the mission of your company?
- What are the features and benefits of your services or products?
- What do your current prospects and customers already think about your business?
- What traits would like them to associate with your business?
You will have to do plenty of research. Learn the wants, needs and habits of your current customers and prospects. Once you’ve done that, you might want to get the word out. So here are a few tips to do just that:
- Design a strong logo. Put it everywhere.
- Devise your brand message.
- Integrate your brand into your business. Branding extends to every part of your company – how you communicate to external parties, your business attire and even your email signature!
- Create your company’s ‘voice’.
- Devise a tagline.
- Design brand standards and templates for all marketing materials. Aim for the same logo placement, color scheme and look on all material.
Read and comment on the original Entrepreneur article.